Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fall/Winter Knits

I know knit-wear is very fashionable right now and that's great for us knitters. In fact, I think the boom in knitwear as a fashion trend was probably influenced somewhat by the birth of a new wave of knitters and designers because the internet gave us a breeding ground to congregate and grow. The funny thing I find about "fashion" is that it just costs so much. I understand and respect the ingenuity of new designs, luxury materials, fine(r) tailoring, etc. so while "fashion" even on the so-called lower cost ends of ready-to-wear are still out of my budget, I accept the justification for its cost.

For knit wear? Okay let's face it!. I am never gonna knit a whole sweater out of lace-weight yarn. I am also not a huge fan of chunky knits. Bulky weights I think should be reserved mostly for accessories, except on the odd pattern that is fitting. There are however lots of fashionable designs that could be knit up even by a slow knitter like myself before the season is over. Here are a selection of interesting pieces I discovered on Shopbop. If I could deconstruct the pattern (and right now I believe I can but not really up to it), these could easily be made in as little as 1 night to 2 weeks. Check out those Mischa Lambert hats & scarves in the super chunky boucle yarn. The colors look delicious and they are hand-knit but DUDE! Every single one of those "things" cost no less that $160 US! If I buckled down, I could probably make 10 of those on a weekend! Sell them off on ebay @ $100 a piece minus materials, I'd probably make $700!!! And that is being very modest in my calculations. Man...I should really jump on this knit-wear bandwagon!

I just realized, any single item from 4 of 8 of these sweaters costs more than I have spent in total on yarns & notions. Yea...I'm not cut out to drape myself in real "fashion".

** Note: Just roll-over pictures to see the brand. Prices are as listed on Shopbop. Enjoy!

I can't help it...I just have to rant. The models on the Shopbop site are sickly-looking skinny. If it weren't for the knits making them look like they have a bit more meat on them, they look like somebody plucked them out of the crazy crack addicted homeless part of town and said, "Here! Put these clothes on and you'll get a dollar, or summore crack." Maybe that accounts for the odd "hungry" looks they have on their faces. Yes...sometimes I am mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment