Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tough curves

The final trim of the shrug is proving harder to knit than I imagined. Because the entire neck, front and bottom-front edge is worked in one piece, the relatively sharper "corner" at the bottom is quite difficult to maneuver. The yarn is either too tight or I don't want it too loose either causing larger holes in the pattern. Also, strangely, the pattern calls for 66 stitches of Open Stitch for 1 side of this trim. Open Stitch as defined by the pattern is supposed to be *k1, yo, k2tog*, repeat * to last st, k1. In all other instances where Open Stitch is worked, the number of stitches always fit this pattern (eg. multiple of 3 + 1, 39 + 1 = 40, 51 + 1 = 52)

For the neck/front trim, it calls for 66 st on each side. I suppose if it's still a multiple of 3, it doesn't really shift the pattern but somehow when I was knitting last night I kept thinking that 1 missing stitch would make a huge difference on how it looks. I wish there were pictures of this shrug that other people had knit for me to reference but NOT the one on the Lion Brand site.

No comments:

Post a Comment